Sunday, August 19, 2012

natural home: vodka fabric refresher

The heat just isn't letting up and our house is more unbearable than ever.  I was ranting to my husband last night about the energy flow of our house, yes that's right, energy flow.  There are no two windows across from each other and every room, including the living room and kitchen, is divided by a wall or narrow door.  A fresh breeze may come in the front door but gets stuck and stagnant quickly with no place to go.  I believe the same applies to the energy flow in this house.  Although cute and charmingly vintage, ever since we moved in here we've had a hard time feeling settled, keeping things clean, and feeling energized for the day ahead.  Yes this place is small, and yes we live somewhat stressful lives, but we know ourselves better than to let that get in the way of daily happiness.  Yet when we step through the front door a weight comes down on our shoulders, a negative energy that can't escape because of the windows and walls.  Yes I know this sounds a little silly, but I think it has some merit, even if its a way to rationalize that we are probably just lazy.


Moving on from crazy lady talk, I thought I'd share my favorite way to freshen up the house.  With a cat, a dog, and a lot of hot air, I need something that will perk this place up.  I used to be an avid Febreze user, dousing every fabric surface with it, but over the past couple years as I've transitioned to natural products not full of chemicals and artificial fragrances I thought Febreze would have to be a thing of the past. But a simple Google search for natural fabric refresher turned up the simplest and most effective recipe for a fresh home.  I've experimented with variations, but this mix works best for me.

Vodka Febreze
-spray bottle
-cheap vodka
-about 30-50 drops or 1/2 tsp grapefruit essential oil (or any essential oil blend)

Shake the bottle up and spritz on fabric around the house.  You can also use it on hard to wash clothes, like winter jackets, that need a pick me up. 
Note: you could add distilled water to dilute the vodka, but I've never bothered.  Its never been a problem on any fabrics, and for me the simpler the recipe the better.  Plus, sometimes I just need the extra strength stuff. 


I feel like I'm in college again strolling into the liquor store to buy the cheapest vodka possible (just add kool aid, serve in red cup). I also feel like I'm in college again when, to this day, I spray my dirty clothes with "Febreze" so I don't have to go to the laundry mat.  The vodka doesn't really smell like alcohol  and evaporates pretty quickly leaving fabrics fresh with a light citrus scent.
Pin It Now!